Monday, January 14, 2008

Amusing Myself to Death #001


Several months ago I had a great idea for a blog. I'd call it amusing myself to death, and the only items I'd post were the random and frivolous things that made me laugh. Nothing with any serious depth. Just thoughts and observation.

When I finally decided to go for it, I discovered someone had already taken the name. Bummer. Maybe it wasn't actually a great idea anyway. Perhaps just a decent one.

Not all is lost, though. I've decided to proceed with idea, only it will be part of the blog I already have here. An occasional feature. And here's the first.

----------

At work we have an annual sales contest between four-to-six call centers supporting the same client. The phone agents are rewarded for selling longer subscriptions to the service. The site with the highest average length of subscriptions sold over a 10-day period receives a shiny new trophy. And bragging rights, of course.

For a variety of reasons, the sales data has always been a little dodgy. The site managers sometimes have a good sense of humor about it. This year one of the site managers whose team had narrowly lost, sent me the following e-mail:

Hey is this another Ohio thing?!?! Re-count!!!

Here's my response:

Mr. Jones,

Thank you for your interest in the sales competition process. Your claims have already been reviewed and rejected by the sales competition advisory board; however, we wish you the best of luck in next year's competition.

Sincerely,

Conrad Bush
SVP, Customer Inquiries
The Man, Inc.
Keeping Good People Down

----------

Hahaha! Well, at the very least, I thought it was funny. And so did Mr. Jones.

No comments: